Aug. 9 - Aug. 16, 1999
A dual-purpose trip for me! First I went to L.A. for the SI99RAPH Computer Graphics Conference, then I headed up to Minnesota to hang out with Vakkotaur and some other toons.
Monday, Aug. 9, 1999
- Page 1: Title; drove to airport.
- Page 2: Airport renovation. Ate breakfast.
- Page 3: Pocketknife. Small plane.
- Page 4: Made connecting flight. Didn't watch Sean Connery.
- Page 5: Landed in LA, tried to get hotel info.
- Page 6: Got hotel info. Muzak in AVIS shuttle.
- Page 7: Got a big car and tried to find the hotel.
- Page 8: Checked in, called Mom.
- Page 9: Drove to Glendale Galleria (not a trivial task).
Fig. 1: An interesting billboard I saw...
- Page 10: Camera malfunctioned!
- Page 11: (Over)ate at Red Robin.
- Page 12: Parked the big car with difficulty.
Tuesday, Aug. 10, 1999
Wednesday, Aug. 11, 1999
- Page 19: Galleria again. Drove to SI99RAPH.
- Page 20: 3D Systems scavenger hunt.
- Page 21: Tried to call Mom. Job Fair.
Fig. 2: "Hire me!"
- Page 22: Called Mom. Bought Photoshop & dinner.
- Page 23: The Electronic Theater. Shrine Auditorium. Leon.
- Page 24: Electronic Theater's weirdest moments.
- Page 25: End of show. Which bus to get on?
- Page 26: Returned to Convention Center. [Dude,] where's my car?
- Page 27: Returned to hotel.
Thursday, Aug. 12, 1999
- Page 28: Headed out to find the Dudley Do-Right Emporium.
- Page 29: Lunch at In-n-Out Burger.
- Page 30: Found myself in Beverly Hills.
- Page 31: Got directions from celebrities.
- Page 32: Found the Dudley Do-Right Emporium!
- Page 33: Packed early. Ate at Carl's Jr.
Friday, Aug. 13, 1999
- Page 34: Drove to airport at 4 am.
- Page 35: Flew to Salt Lake City.
- Page 36: Connecting flight was delayed, cutting into fishing time.
- Page 37: Flew to Minneapolis, met Acme Mouse.
- Page 38: Drove real fast to Ja-Tee's.
- Page 39: Latish fish fry.
- Page 40: Went to motel, then the Stable. Skunk cake for Michael!
- Page 41: Da Yoopers, Pocari Sweat, dumb crooks, then back to motel.
Fig. 3: Whinnying horse plushie.
Saturday, Aug. 14, 1999
- Page 42: Convened at the Stable, headed for the Renaissance Faire.
- Page 43: Parked, met Vakko's folks, entered.
- Page 44: Unicorn! Ruined film, waah! Yo & Ho.
Fig. 4: The French.
- Page 45: Terry Fails, Yo & Ho again, rejoined everybody.
- Page 46: What I missed. Off With His Head & Vegetable Justice!
- Page 47: Frog Catapult.
- Page 48: Singing for ice cream. #watertower shirt. Balloon Fencing!
- Page 49: Heckling practice before the joust.
- Page 50: Shivering lances. Parade & reptiles.
- Page 51: Michael in the stocks!
- Page 52: Vakko in the stocks. Signing the guestbook.
- Page 53: Went to Roy Dean's in Blue Earth.
- Page 54: Fiddled with oil lamps. Dinner. Guestbook again.
- Page 55: Red Dwarf: one I hadn't seen, and one with stuff added.
Fig. 5: Played "New Math" for Acme.
- Page 56: Fox & mink try the bullwhip.
Fig. 6: Sketch of Richard cracking the whip.
- Page 57: I tried whip. Watched banned cartoons.
Sunday, Aug. 15, 1999
- Page 58: My pen ran out of ink!
- Page 59: Bought pens at the mall.
- Page 60: Looked for A! stuff at Only Deals.
- Page 61: Ham sandwich. Toon toys.
Fig. 7: Monk mink, punk mink.
- Page 62: More banned cartoons. Thunderclap!
- Page 63: Bosommouse. Pizza. Cream soda root beer. Called Runt.
- Page 64: Called Chilly & Hobbes. Yakko talked tech.
- Page 65: Called Masem. Tried to set up recording device.
- Page 66: Three computers online at once!
- Page 67: Chatted with Okkay. Blither!
- Page 68: Slo-mo fighting. Returned to motel.
- Page 69: Threw my undies away to save luggage space.
Monday, Aug. 16, 1999
- Page 70: Checked out, hit the road with Acme, got gas in Albert Lea.
- Page 71: Stopped at a rest stop.
- Page 72: Returned to airport. Chili's Too.
- Page 73: Said bye to Acme, went to my gate.
- Page 74: Flew to Atlanta. Had some Chinese food.
- Page 75: Frozen yogurt. Volunteered for standby.
- Page 76: Didn't get bumped. Flew home.